Today's IRL press conference provided the official details of the "merger" between the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series:
- The "new" series will keep the name Indy Racing League
- Teams will use the IRL's Dallara-Hondas.
- The season will start with a race at the Homestead-Miami Speedway on March 29
- The Long Beach Grand Prix and the Indy Japan 300 will both be run on April 20.
- Old Champ Car teams that are making the switch to the IRL will contest the Long Beach GP for IRL points and prize money using their equipment from the 2007 season
- All events scheduled to be on the 2008 Champ Car calendar are under consideration for possible integration into the 2009 IRL calendar, and in fact as many as possible will be integrated into the 2008 season
- Long Beach is confirmed to have a place on the 2009 calendar
- Champ Car teams that can commit to the full 2008 season are receiving $1.2 million, plus leased cars and engines to aid in the transition